Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'm sure it's important!

Yesterday morning I overslept. As a result I was scrambling to get things done before I had to leave for work. The girls have to get up at 6:15 on the days I work to catch the bus. Tuesdays are hectic from sunup to sundown, but you've heard me whine about that enough.

Today I'm whining about something completely different! Isn't that refreshing?

So, I was eating breakfast, loading the dishwasher with someone's (who is also an adult, but shall remain nameless,) snack dishes from the night before, moving the clothes from the washer to the dryer and starting another load.....I had already fixed Popcorn a bowl of hot Grapenuts, and Bookworm her standard: toast with pb and honey. As you saw a few days ago, I had harvested a huge mess of mesclun, and I had started to put it into individual bags to share with my coworkers.

Studmuffin strolled in, made himself a bowl of oatmeal, and sat down at the table to eat. The girls were sitting at the bar.

Popcorn, always the one to confront the elephant in the room said, "Why don't we sit together at breakfast? We always eat at the bar, and Daddy sits at the table alone, and Mommy is always walking around."

Okay, a little buzz of self-satisfaction shot through me. My endless hours of labor are noted!!!!! Mental jig of happiness commences. "Well, you see, I have too much to get done in the morning before I leave to sit down and eat, but you girls can certainly move over next to Daddy." Dear Reader, I was conveniently ignoring the fact that I'd overslept, so I did not get my stuff done before I was waking up the girls...

Bookworm added her own insight. "Yep. Mommy has lots of important stuff to do." (at this point I'm just about to bust with pride) "Right now, she's sorting salad. I have no idea why, but if she's doing it, it must be reeeeeally important." And then she burst out laughing, and practically fell off of her stool she was so pleased with her little self.

Pop! Balloon of pride deflated. Thank you, children for keeping my pride in check.

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

3 comments:

Sarah Kamolz said...

haha! I love your girls! I am excited to see them this week... maybe... hopefully! Haha

Unknown said...

Popcorn can add that to the being a good mommy list along with the homeschooling and toy buying..

Becky said...

Ouch! LOL. impeccable timing bookworm ;-)