Sunday, November 22, 2009

A new baby

Last Monday evening I finally decided to harvest my plethora of green tomatoes before they were completely obliterated by frost. You can read more about that here.

While I was picking, I noticed a lone cow in the pasture behind me. It was nearly dark, and she was at least 100 yards away, but I could see she had a new baby calf, as she was licking it...

The next morning, before the sun was even up, I went out to feed the dogs (the little beggars were whining at the kitchen window, so I went to feed them so they'd quit bugging me.) I went to make sure they had plenty of water, and the cattle were right at our back fence. Actually, they are usually right at our fence first thing in the morning this fall, so at first I just gave them a glance, felt my typical little bubble of happiness that God blessed me with "my" herd of cattle and headed back to my coffee.

I love having a herd of cattle out my back door. It's really a great scenario. I get to watch them and enjoy their new babies, but I have no responsibility for feeding, vaccinating, or anything...I only have to contend with the flies when they congregate at my fence every evening at 5:30 in the summer. I have no idea why they're on this schedule, but it has made eating on the back deck a virtual impossibility as they bring thousands of flies with them.

However, now it's fall, so they just give me pleasure to watch. As I stood drinking my coffee and looking at them from my kitchen, I noticed some erratic movement. It was the mama cow. She kept chasing a black calf away, and then leading her newborn red calf away...Apparently the little fella had never been weaned before she dropped her next calf.

I wish it would have been light enough to photograph any of this, but I'll give you my personal account....

Mama is calmly grazing amidst the herd. Her newborn calf is doing his funny little leaps that all brand new calves do....I don't know if all of life is just that exciting for them, or if their little legs just aren't quite coordinated, so they occasionally do little hops or what...But it is an adorable sight to see.

Pretty soon a large black calf wanders over and begins to try and get a little smackrel of fresh milk...Imagine the poor little fellas surprise when his nuzzling is met with a sharp kick! Then, to add insult to injury, his mama chases him away!

"Mama? Mama? What's the matter Mama?"

In confusion, he trots after her....Only to be chased away again....

"Mama? I don't understand....Mama, please come back." He is so confused. And so hurt by this seemingly sudden rejection of his overtures...

"Mama?"

With no noticeable concern for her older calf she continues to lead her newborn further away....

*"Mama?"*

And, suddenly seeming to realize that he no longer has a place with his mama, the black calf stands. And watches. And occasionally lets out a small cry....

But he does not approach her. His place is no longer with her....

The weaning of young since I've had my own babies has struck a chord in me. It seemed such a harsh reality the little fella had to face. But, I doubt it would have been any easier for him had the rancher bothered to wean him before the new calf came. The sever still would have been sudden and complete....And of course it is necessary and completely natural.

But it still seems kinda sad.

I guess I'm getting sentimental....


*sigh*



Either that or Aunt Flo is about to drop in again....

No comments: