Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Weekend Conversations

Could someone please tell me what these lovely flowers are that appeared under my peach tree this year?



Yesterday we did "date" day with our kids...

Since Studmuffin has been taking Bookworm to softball 3 nights a week, he has individual time with her, and of course that means that I've had lots of time alone with Popcorn. Saturday I needed to go to the store and Studmuffin wanted to get some stuff at Lowe's, so we split up the kids and decided to take them out to eat after.

Is this the face of a kid dying to have her picture posted, or what? But, ain't she a beauty?

While we were eating at Arby's, a family of 4 came in. The mom was in quite the mood. She griped at her kids nonstop...It was one of those weird, uncomfortable moments where you just really want to go and ask her if she can hear herself, but I was also uncomfortably aware that there have been times when I've been that woman. Cranky for no reason. Irritable with my kids for no reason. It made me a little sick at my stomach...

We got in the car and I said "That woman was so awful to her kids. I'm sorry that I get cranky and talk to you guys sometimes that way."

Bookworm leaped to my defense. "Mom. That woman was RUDE. You are never that bad!"

Dear Lord, I pray she is right. But, even if she was lying to make me feel better, I appreciate the effort.

Now, this is the face of a kid willing to butter up her mama.

While Studmuffin and Popcorn were out eating, they went to Panda Express....

"Dad, I like orange chicken and sesame chicken. The sesame chicken is the one with hamburger seeds in it..."

"No, sweety. Hamburger seeds are baby calves."

"Yuck. I don't want to think about that."


Then, this evening as I was saying prayers and tucking in, and discussing the fun of egg hunts, Popcorn asked me if she had ever seen my natural hair color.

"No. I don't think so. My natural hair pretty much matches my eyebrows."

"Oh. Then, I've never seen it. Wouldn't it be weird if your eyebrows were curly like your hair?"

"How embarrassing. I would cut them then."

She replied without missing a beat. "Nah. If you had curly eyebrows, everyone would have curly eyebrows, so it would just be normal. Like a nose!"

Now. Is that a wild hair OR WHAT?

So, one last conversation for your reading pleasure.

I accepted a friend request on facebook from a friend in choir. We had briefly discussed that I really don't go there, but my boss wants me to do farmville, blah, blah, blah...

It turns out her husband used to be very active in farmville. She said he'd say things like, "I need to go tend my crops." Or, "I think I need to plant my watermelons."

I relayed this story to Studmuffin tonight as I was accepting her friend request. I had just gotten back from pulling some clothes from the washer to the dryer and grabbing some salsa....Because, seriously I have an addiction, and I love a good jar of salsa in the evenings...The chips are just a vehicle to get the salsa to my mouth.

I sat down and noticed that he had opened Evony Forever in a new tab...

Studmuffin said, "It's not like you can even eat those watermelons. By the way, when you're done with your blog, I need the laptop. I need to get my amulet on Evony..."



Yep. He's just a big ole kid at heart.

8 comments:

Marilyn said...

The flowers are grape hyacinths. Yep, he is a big ole kid at heart but don't you just love that in him?

Anonymous said...

I think they are something like grape hyacinths or something like that.
P

Anonymous said...

No, Andi, no! Don't tell me you play Farmville?!?
Say it isn't so!

Just kidding.

Kind of.

:)
hahahahaha!
No, kidding.
Really.
I promise.
heehee.

Amy said...

Andi,

I do love your stories and yes, your family is b-e-a-uuuutiful. :)

Cheers,

Amy

Unknown said...

Your studmuffin is something else! As well as the two little muffins!

Jaime Kubik said...

I'm afraid I have to agree with lumberjack's wife...you completely changed the way I look at you due to Farmville. Do you really play or do others just want you to play? (Because, this makes ALL the difference in the world....)HA!!

Loved the stories....aren't kids cute? My five-year-old told me before church yesterday that I looked pretty...then followed it up with saying,"Does that make you happy Mom?" Not sure how to take that...is he just a slow learner in the realm of butt-kissing? Or did he truly want to know if he'd made me happy? Something to ponder!

Hope you have a great week!

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

It's funny you brought up your "natural" hair color because my 7 year old and I were having a conversation much like yours the other day. I recently home colored my (previously salon-exclusive) hair and the blonde turned out a teensy bit darker than I had planned. And, being that I haven't been a natural blonde since I was potty training I shouldn't have been surprised at my daughter's scrutiny. She asked me, "Mom? Is that your real color?" I answered, "It's close." She said, "Well, I think you should go back to being fake because I like the light stuff better." Nice. Thank you honey. =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Amy said...

Isn't it nice that our husband still have their inner child. I love it!