Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Preparing for Being Snowed in by Ensuring Total Exhaustion...

Our state happened to have a winter storm move in.  Oklahoma is not like those northeastern states.  We aren't prepared for large amounts of snow fall.  We expect large amounts about once a year at most.  Rather than own an abundance of expensive equipment, the state has only enough heavy equipment to open major roads.  And that is not clear roads.  Just open.  They will still be very slick and hazardous...That means that everything nonessential shuts down in the event of winter weather.

Guess what?

Hospitals don't fit that category.  I was on call for the hospital Monday and Tuesday.  Hence, I was required to go to the hospital and stay until the weather cleared up, or the replacement call crew arrived so I could go home.  Whichever came first.

Loverly.

I have so many exciting tales to tell you from my hospital camping trip! From eating my first fried burrito since I was in college to discovering a back way into a unit that was under construction and had broken beds...which we stole the mattresses off of.  It was not so good times had by all surrounded by moments of sheer hilarity.  Not because they were so hilarious.  But because we were tired.  And I was delirious.  I had very little sleep the two nights leading up to this hospital slumber party.

I have so much to say, I don't know where to begin.  I think I will begin at the beginning and post several stories for your reading pleasure over the next several days.  My only regret was that I did not have a camera.  I had a camera phone but they are just not the same, so I don't tend to use my phone as much...

Rewind all the way back to Sunday night.  I had seen the forecast.  I knew what my fate was going to be for Monday and Tuesday.  I was irritated and already past the point of no return exhausted when I tried to go to bed at about 10:30 Sunday night.

I laid down.  I tossed and turned.  I tried deep breathing and prayer and gradual muscle relaxation...I began to sink.  I was falling into dream land.

BUZZ!!!

Dadgummit!  I had put some clothes in the dryer before going to bed and forgot to turn off the cycle signal.  It was 11 pm.  I stumbled to the laundry room, switched off the cycle signal, and went back to bed...

And started the whole prayer, deep breathing, muscle relaxation mantra over again...And, yes Gentle Reader.  Studmuffin was sleeping peacefully.  Which was good as he had to be at work by 5:30 am.

I rest.  I relax.  I was determined not to get out a book as I would for sure not go to sleep then, as I would need to read "just one more chapter."  I finally dozed...

"Abkadefghijhecklmanhopferstewicksiz!"

What the hey diddle?

I woke with a jolt.  What was thaaaat?  Was that someone outside my window?

Silence...

The dog isn't barking so it can't be someone outside....

Maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

"Snorkelemflarpinjehosaphat!"

Oh.  Well that explains it.  Popcorn is talking in her sleep.  Again....No biggie.  I sleep through that all the time!

Rest, rest, rest.  Relax, relax, relax.  Pray, pray, pray...

*BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!*

It is now 4am.  Studmuffin's alarm is going off.  "Fortunately," I sigh to myself, "I don't have to get up yet." And I attempt to sleep.

Rest, rest, rest.  Relax, relax, relax.  Pray, pray, pray.

To no avail...

At 4:45 I gave it up and went to turn on the coffee and make myself some oatmeal.

And that began the day of cleaning the house in preparation for being gone for a few days.  Ensuring there was plenty of food supplies for the fam, and disinfecting from the flu and strep bugs that had descended on our house...Cleaning.  Laundry.  Blah-biddy blah blah blah...

And awake I stayed until I went to bed at 1am Tuesday morning.

But that is a story for the next post.  Which is way more interesting.  I promise.  I will tell you all about the first night camping at the hospital tomorrow.  You will be glad I did...

I puh-ROMise!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nothing spells fun like a hospital slumber party!