Thursday, July 19, 2012

It's Not About Hating, or What I Feel. It's What GOD Says.

One of my facebook friends posted this link, along with the quote "Thanks Chick-Fil-A for standing up for what you believe in."
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/19/chick-fil-a-and-gay-marriage-a-social-media-storm/comment-page-107/#comment-1293718

Can you say "big ole can of worms?"  I immediately wanted to repost it.  But I chickened out.  I didn't want to be attacked for hating on the entire homosexual society in America.  Because of course I don't hate them.  That would just be stupid.  And ignorant.  And against everything the Bible teaches...

But not hating them does not mean that it doesn't break my heart to see the television flooded with messages that homosexuality is okay, and it really doesn't hurt anyone.

I fear that we as Christians have been too silent on this issue for fear that we are not demonstrating love.  If someone was disrespecting their parents would I call them on it?  Yes I would.  If my brother is doing drugs and I tell him that he is defiling his body, the living temple of the Lord Jesus Christ by putting those chemicals into it, am I hating him?  No.  I'm not.  That would be an example of speaking truth over him. 

While on the surface those seem like two drastically different examples, they both have core biblical values.  Respect your parents.  Remember that your body (if you're a Christian) is not your own, but the temple of the Living God.

Then there is the very basic biblical view of marriage.  Adam +Eve=Children.  Never in scripture do you find two men raising children.  Or do you find two lesbian women who are following Jesus with all of their heart, and he is giving them accolades for their faithfulness to him.  The Bible is my source of truth.  If the body of Christ is unwilling to stand up and say that homosexuality is NOT natural, and it is NOT acceptable to a holy God, then we've failed the entire scripture.  Because if God's changed His mind on homosexuality, what about the rest of the Bible?  Are multiple gods acceptable?  Stealing?  Coveting?  Murder?

We can't just take what we like about the Bible and accept that as truth, then toss the rest out the window with a "Oh, I don't really know anything about that" mentality.  That is where Satan will really get his claws into the church.  Because if this part isn't true, other parts could be wrong too. Maybe there IS more than one way to heaven!  And if there's more than one way to heaven, then Jesus death on the cross was completely pointless.  If His death on the cross was meaningless, then why would God come to earth as a simple MAN, then suffer and die for sins he did NOT commit?  That would just make no sense!

The Bible is God's holy, inspired infallible word.  We as Christians need to stop hiding what we believe for fear of offending some people, or our nation is going to be abandoned by the Lord.  And if we think times are tough now, I shudder to think of Him removing His hand of protection from us.

I listen to Hank Hannegraf on my way home from work and he recently had a caller confront his stance on gay marriage.   He pointed out to say that you are "born gay" is like saying God played some giant cosmic joke on you.  You are not designed to be gay.  It is against the very nature of our human form.  You can not reproduce, so therefore you cannot have children.  So, if you are just "born that way" was God just deciding to throw you a giant curve ball and sit back to watch how you will deal with this unnatural state?  Of course, I've totally butchered what he had to say, but the gist is there.  You can go to his website, here, to read some articles about defending the faith and gay marriage.

Here's a quote from Hank's website:

The problem today is a lot of people want to be God. They want to be the final court of arbitration. They want to decide what sin is and what sin is not. They want to decide which behaviors are ok and which behaviors are not ok, but we have a Creator and an owner’s manual, and we say He, not I, is the final court of arbitration.

Even if I don’t agree, I bow the knee, I submit to the one who spoke and the limitless galaxies leapt into existence because He is a far more brilliant intellect than I. We don’t want to do that. We want to say, “Has God said?” and then make the rules of the game ourselves and determine right or wrong not based on a final court of arbitration but on the size and scope and strength of the latest lobby group.
 
So, my first response to my facebook friend's status was: RIGHT ON!!  Then, I had a shudder and an "I don't want to touch that topic with a ten foot pole" moment. 

Yet, here I am.

Homosexuality will be the defining topic of this generation, much like free love was the topic of the 1960s.  Christians sat quietly by while this era passed.  And now we sit quietly by while a new topic of even greater destructive forces wreaks havoc on the very fabric of family.

What will your response be?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head.