Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Woe is Me: Part 2

So..... are you sick and tired of me whining and complaining, and moaning?

Too bad...I'm not done yet.

Today is my birthday, and I think I'm sick. I've been blowing my nose every 10 seconds all day long. I actually had a great day at work...The kind where I only sat down to eat, but I was never actually behind, just nonstop busy. I like being busy. That's why I'm a nurse. It kinda goes with the territory. However, how do you feel as the patient when your nurse is CONTINUOUSLY blowing her shnoz? *I have no idea how to spell that word.* I'm sure it invokes all sorts of warm fuzzy feelings...of dread.

I rushed home from work to Bookworm's Christmas program. By the time it was over, I hurt all over, and I could barely stay awake. I came home, put a pot of water on to boil, with spaghetti and a can of sauce next to it, (Studmuffin was picking Popcorn up from basketball practice. I figured he'd take the hint.) and went to the tub. And SOAKED. It was great. But, my body aches all over now. I'm not sure...am I sick or this the result of standing for about 2 hours in a lead apron today, and then being on my feet the rest of the day? I don't know.

What I do know is the two nurses that worked interventions with me today left early. On my birthday. When my kids had a Christmas program that we'd been discussing I'd barely have time to get to. Because their patients had all left. And mine was still recovering. So they left. On my birthday. Because they could. I'm not bitter. I'm not dwelling....Nope, I'm not. I'm TOTALLY over it. Yessirreeeee.....

Moving on.....


I GOT A NEW DRYER! At Sears. For $330. It was originally $498. Since it's near the end of the year, they're replacing all '08 models with '09. So, I got it for a steal. Yeah!!!

Dear Reader, I'm not dwelling on the fact that a lady in my Devotional Divas group offered me her old dryer for FREE last night after I bought a new one.
I'm telling you, I don't ask for free stuff. People just offer it to me!

Yes, I could have returned it. But mine is new. And it's quiet. And. It's. huge. YEAH FOR ME!

Dear Reader, I'm also not dwelling on the ohsohelpful lady Sunday morning who told me, ohsohelpfully, that I could have gotten my appliances half off on Black Friday. Gee, silly me, I didn't realize my dryer would quit on Black Friiday.

And, last, but most certainly not least, dear reader, I'm not dwelling on the fact that a guy I work with guessed my age correctly. Isn't it depressing when people realize how old you are, so therefore you must look your age? (sigh) I remember when my patients used to think I was too young to be a nurse.....sigh


Oh! One last thing, and then I'm done...I promise! I have this amazing new remedy for a plugged up nose. Put on a surgical mask. It's pretty amazing. The humidity from your breath loosens up the sinus pressure. And your nose begins to run. And boy does it ever run. I don't recommend this tactic in a surgical environment. "Ummmm, no Dr. Stokes, I'm not crying. What's that sir? Yes, I have a runny nose. No, sir, the mask doesn't seem to help. Yes sir, I hear you all laughing at me even though my ears are a little plugged up. I'm glad I can provide some amusement for your day." How the heck do you blow your nose in such a situation? I don't know. And none of my beloved coworkers seemed to know, or at least they didn't feel the desire to end my suffering and thus end their amusement!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should definately be allowed to whine on your birthday. And being sick should be against the rules. but I see you were not to sick to whine to blogland:P hehehe! Love you and hope you had a great birthday in spite of it. And I slept really well last night so I could post this till today!