Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oatmeal Cookies

So, I'm not keeping you waiting long for my famous oatmeal cookies. Okay, sorta famous....Like not even remotely known past my tiny sphere of acquaintances famous, but my family and friends love them, and scarf them down in no time flat. Or should I say "fat?'' because that's what will happen if you don't limit the quantity of these sheer heaven, melt in your mouth oatmeal cookies.

Okay, enough hoopla and bragging. Here's the


Super Secret Don't Tell Anyone But I Found This Recipe On The Back of Kroger Quick Oats Oatmeal Cookies


1 c butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar
1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 c quick oats
1 c nuts-optional

Mix butter & sugars-then beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients (except oatmeal and nuts), then stir into sugar mixture BY HAND. I add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients at a time. Add oatmeal and nuts. Bake 12-14 minutes at 375.

I don't know my grandma's recipe, but I can tell you 2 very major variations from this one. She packs them full of raisins, nuts, and sometimes dried cranberries. I think she adds it until the dough will just barely stick together, then bakes them. They are fabulous that way, and that's how she convinces herself it's okay to eat these for breakfast....and lunch...and probably supper too. I do know she also uses real butter.

So, here's the story: You knew you were going to get one, right? Grandma went to the doctor for her annual blood work, check-up, etc. Her cholesterol was over 350. But, that was down last year from over 400! You see, she thought these cookies were good for her cholesterol because of all the oatmeal she was eating. I guess it didn't cancel out the 2 sticks of butter! She hasn't been taking her cholesterol medicine either. Why take cholesterol medicine at 88 years old? She's lived a full life. Those meds have very uncomfortable side effects, and people often have to try several to find the one that doesn't bother them. Why deal with that at 88? I say, "More oatmeal Grandma!" I'm sure she agrees!

Disclaimer: I am NOT telling anyone it is okay to not take your meds. She is 88, for pete's sake. You probably are not. If you do have side effects from your cholesterol meds, tell your doctor, and they will switch you to a different one. Also, diet and exercise can do amazing things. Can you say "exercise?" Give it a try!

And a quick rant here: If you have a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol, this does not mean you shouldn't treat it because "God made you that way." It means you should be more conscious of what you eat, exercise, and take your meds!!! If you are genetically predispositioned to cancer you don't ignore it! You treat it! *Has anyone noticed my little profile comment about my own predisposition to bossiness? I'm sure that explanation is abundantly clear to you now!*

Okay, I'm done now. Go make yourself some fattening, high cholesterol oatmeal cookies!

No comments: