Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Waterlogged...

Before we begin today's whining, let's have a moment to laugh together.

Popcorn: My friend Betsy speaks Spanish! But she doesn't know how to say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in Spanish......

Bookworm on the way to her softball game: Leave me alone, Popcorn! I need to rest up for my game. You know I'm wimpy so I need to save my strength!

Now on to my drama:
Woe is me! I feel flushed....Wait. I can't flush.

DANG IT!

We're waterlogged again today....

With possibly 3-4 more days of rain....

It got me to thinkin'....

This is not the first time we've had water issues in a house.

We lived off of a beautiful creek in Arlington, called Rush Creek. The first summer we were there we had 15 inches of rain. The creek is not nearly as pretty when it's up to your back fence and thundering along. Picture raging waters worthy of white water rafting. And then the rats seek refuge in your yard. Seriously. Rats. On my deck. Looking at me like they owned the place. Because they'd rather face possible death with me than certain death by drowning....

Then we lived in La Vernia. The area we lived in had primarily sugar sand. This is great sand for digging in. Just ask my dog Kelsey. It typically made for great drainage. We seldom had water standing there. Of course, we did have flooding occasionally. Several times the water would be up to the threshold of our front door before it would stop. That was a tad stressful! But one of my most vivid images was the geyser in my back yard.

That's right.

A geyser.

In my back yard.

Do you remember my previous posts when I mentioned Kelsey loved to dig for gophers? Well, even though we did not have any gophers in our yard, but only because Kelsey loved to catch (read here: dig ginormous holes that could easily reach 2 feet deep and 6 feet long; I swear our yard resembled the surface of the moon at times) and eat them. However, we still had tunnels under the yard. You know, they have a pretty intricate network of tunnels that you would never suspect. These tunnel systems lead to a geyser during one of our heavy rains. I looked in the back yard, and I kid you not there was literally a geyser of water shooting out of the ground! I was so confused. No comments about how easily that is done, please. Thank you.

After it stopped raining I went out to investigate. To the side of my house there was a giant trench that had sunk in. It was a series of gopher tunnels that had collapsed in, water dumped in them, then found it's escape route out of an old hole in my yard.

So, there you have it.

Now, if only the stupid laterals to my septic could find an escape route to anywhere but my backyard....

I swear, the next time Studmuffin makes me move I'm totally examining the drainage issues.......

But for now, I'm going to the city tomorrow to ask if they can/will do anything to help me in my plight.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm dying laughing at Bookworm....what a drama queen. Perhaps like my own big drama queen who eats your food and flushes your toilets! You will soon be an expert on moving.....But don't move!

Anonymous said...

You can move out here in the Panhandle, It is raining but so far we still have drainage. It is all downhill from here. Well, almost anyway.

Becky said...

Living on the side of a mountain helps.

Sorry about your drainage problems. That stinks! *snicker*