Friday, June 26, 2009

The heart won't lie

Remember that country song? I think Reba sang it.

Well, today I had the TV on for background noise as I did my housework. We have the basic DirecTV package. I love the Gospel Music Channel, but it was showing a movie, and since we don't get GAC, I turned on CMT. Crossroads was on with Taylor Swift and Def Leppard. They had this little segment about following your instinct with your music, and living from an authentic place. This led to distinguishing how to make decisions.

One of the men said, "This will lie," pointing to his head, "but this will never lie," gesturing to his heart. They then continued the importance of always listening to you heart, and doing what your heart says is right for you.

This is a statement I hear over and over in our society, and it worries me. Jeremiah 17:9 states, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. who can understand it?" Why would we trust our hearts when scripture clearly states it is deceitful? How many times have I messed things up because I followed my heart, AKA, what I really want to do? Too many to name. We, as people are selfish, and in our selfish hearts we desire to please our flesh. But I am not to live to please my flesh, but to please the Holy Spirit.

Right now, Studmuffin has a job opportunity right back where we moved from. Do I want to move? No. Do I think God is telling me to stay here? I don't know. I'm praying diligently about it. I hope you'll pray for me to. The reality is, if I say I don't want to move, Studmuffin will honor my desires. But again, based on the above scripture, can I trust the desires of my heart? Usually, no.

The only time I can trust the desires of my heart is when I have made a conscious decision to seek God with all my heart (Jeremiah 29:18), and fix his words in my heart (Deuteronomy 11:18) and set my heart on things above (Colossians 3:1) then God will give me peace, and Christ will rule in my heart. There's the catch. I have to listen to the Holy Spirit, who is in my heart, not my flesh.

So, that's what hit me for today. I need to be diligent about what I listen to. The lies that are in the world, that without God's word to guide me, seem to make perfect sense. These lies will creep into my life and I will buy into them. Even scarier, I will teach my children to believe these lies. Isaiah 59:21 tells me that "My Spirit, who is on you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouths of your children, or from the mouths of their descendants from this time on and forever." says the LORD." What words are coming out of my mouth? Are they God's words, or are they words of the flesh? I'm working on it. I'm praying on it. I pray that I will raise my girls to have a heritage in the Lord.

Pray for me as a mommy and a wife. Pray that we will make a decision as a family that leads us into God's will, not my selfish desires. I know I can trust Him.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

I can't guarantee any of that with my own plans.

No comments: