Monday, November 16, 2009

What's for lunch?

I don't know why, but I have not been very organized with my grocery shopping lately. As most of you know, I pride myself on going to the store every 2 weeks. I hit our local Braum's for additional stock ups like milk, bread, fruit, etc. However, lately, I seem to be shortchanging myself on my 2 week plan. I've been running out of even basic food.

For pity sake, I even ran out of popcorn, which is practically a sacrilege in a house where the expected supper for Sunday night is a bowl of popcorn (made in a pan on the stove) cheese slices and apples. I thought the whole family was going to have a meltdown last night!

Studmuffin opened the fridge and said, "We have no food." To which I replied, "Sure we do! It just all requires cooking!" And I promptly proved my Super Mom abilities and made egg on toast sandwiches...Why 3? Well, I only had enough bread for 3 sandwiches, so I settled for chips and salsa. The sacrifices I make for this family... Anyway, I refused to even let anyone have a glass of milk because that would mean I wouldn't have enough for breakfast and I didn't want to go to the store...



Wondering what the strange green substance is in the baggy? It's slime that Bookworm made in GT, and it has to be kept refrigerated to prevent mold growth. So, I have green slime in my refrigerator...

Anyway, this morning nobody had made the sacrifice to go to the store. I had determined to get up and whip up some home made waffles this morning, but I overslept. Consequently, my girls each got one frozen waffle with peanut butter and maple syrup, and a container of yogurt.

I took them to school, came home and did a little housework then headed to my ladies Bible Study group. On the way, I decided I needed a cup of cappuccino. I swung into Sonic, but ended up pulling out because I wasn't sure if their hot flavored coffees were good. You see, I'm gun shy now because I made the error of ordering a latte at McDonald's. I don't know if I ordered my hot caramel latte wrong or what, but it was the most disgusting cup of coffee I ever paid money for in my life. And I was very bitter because I was in a hurry, so I couldn't even turn around, complain and demand a refund. It was like a cup of coffee that simply had steamed milk dumped in, and no sweetness whatsoever, but there was an essence of burnt caramel. Blech. You see, I typically drink coffee black. However, if you put cream in coffee, it simply must have sugar with it. I can't explain it, it just is....

Well, I turned out of Sonic, and headed to the quick stop a block up the street. Don't you just love the cappuccino that comes out of the machines at quick stops? I particularly love the toffee ones... The entire parking lot was full, including every single pump... I pulled right back out, and by this time I was pushing making it to church in time to beat my early bird members. Sadly, I ended up forgoing the cappuccino altogether.

I showed up at church and brewed my standard pot of coffee, no frills added, and explained my tale of woes... My friend Roni said, "Well, that cappuccino just wasn't meant to be."

Excuse me?

It's COLD outside! That means it is time to start treating myself to random cups of cappuccino. The only problem was that I should have brought my homemade cappuccino mix when I left the house so I could share it with my entire group. THAT was the mistake....Not that the coffee was never "meant to be...."

Sheesh....

Does this girl know me AT ALL???? Coffee is always meant to be.

So, I returned to my Mother Hubbard home to prepare a more complete shopping list that will hopefully last me until we get home from Thanksgiving....

Guess what? My refrigerator was still empty. My pantry still only contained cream soups, dry beans and such, and I refused to eat another lunch of banana & peanut butter which is what I eat at least 4 times a week for lunch, or even a bowl of oatmeal...

I decided to get creative and I came up with this:



I had 2 slices of thin sliced turkey breast and about 1/4 c of shredded cheddar in my fridge. Plus, I had a box of whole wheat crackers. I placed the turkey and cheese on a cracker and popped them in the oven to warm it through. Then, I went to my garage where I have a stash of tomatoes I'm ripening (yellow, obviously) and sliced them to place on the cracker.

The result was so delicious, satisfying, and special tasting I had to share it with you!

Now, in hindsight some fresh basil added to it would have made it, even more special. And placing the delightful entree on one of my multiple lovely plates would have made it more appealing. But that would have required me to stop shoving my face full of them, and that would have required dirtying another plate, and I decided this was a blog worthy meal after I had already started... So, the photo you see is on a white scratched up plate...

And, can anyone PLEASE, PLEASE tell me why white plates get such terrible etching?

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I was laughing so hard at this my sides hurt!!! Your funnier than Rechelle!!!