Friday, March 12, 2010

Listification

I love creating new words...

Doesn't listification have a nice ring to it?

I read Freckled Hen's latest blog, and decided to share with you my plans for the day...

I know. You are just super excited!

There is such joy in listification... You feel as if you've accomplished so much. I first fell in love with lists when I would pack for kids camp. I would list my items weeks in advance, down to what underwear, and add to it as inspiration struck. Then, when packing began, I could check off each item as I packed it! How fun!

Then, I made the grave mistake of becoming president of my school's chapter for the National Student Nurse Association. I was in nursing school. I was working. I suddenly had this big responsibility. Do you know what happens when things aren't done and you are the leader? The Dean of the School of Nursing calls you in her office to ask why it's not done. Even if you assigned the duty to someone else, if it's not done, it's your fault. BLECH! I learned to never trust any of my co-officers to do their jobs... Isn't that lovely? I also learned to live by a list.

I became so obsessive with my lists, that if I did something that wasn't on my list, I would add it, just so I could cross it off! Oh, the joy! The euphoria that comes from a completed list! Unfortunately, my list was seldom completed. Most days at least one thing would be carried over to the next day...

When I'm feeling particularly lazy, or overwhelmed, I still love to resort to the list. So, without further ado, and a picture of my bare toes, that are currently resting on the couch, and desperately need painted (I think this should be on our to-do list at Mom's this weekend, ladies!) here is today's list, so far.



Don't you agree that labeling your list as LIST, and dating it makes it more official? Me too. I'm glad our thoughts are so harmonious, Gentle Reader...



Notice my list takes up two pages. This is because I'm so incredibly Green. I'm using the back of my daughter's overdue library slip and low lunch money balance notice...

I fear my chillin's aren't on board as much as I'd hope. I think you'll see what I mean when you take a gander at these pictures taken this morning. And, these were taken at 8am. My kids have been awake since 5:30. Yep. 5:30. Apparently the little hooligans were very eager to start their spring break.


Apparently, that 5:30 wake up time is starting to catch up. Truth: They both were playing when I walked in. Bookworm was reading a book to Popcorn and her babies when I walked in. They quickly threw their toys aside and struck these poses for fear the world may know they play with babies.


Little did they know that this was in the hallway as proof of their escapades.


And these stuffies were abandoned in a very precise fashion. I know it's precise because I got scolded for moving them out of the walkway. Apparently this is a very exact arrangement, not the pile it appears to be.


Now the final bit of evidence: I told them to plug in their game systems and MP3 players to have charged for the trip. They have not even touched those games in over a month, but the reminder of their existence has brought all productivity to a halt.

I'm afraid they haven't learned the beauty of my lists. But, there is still hope. There is always hope...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am utterly fascinated!

Unknown said...

And I'm making cinnamon rolls and blarney stones.

Freckled Hen said...

I am also a listaholic. Instead of writing "laundry" I write wash clothes, dry clothes, fold clothes, put away clothes. Because checking off four things is very cool.
I like the playing-with-dolls-guilt. I forgot about that. Hopefully they will always love dolls!
Thanks for the link...and the picture of your feet!

Anonymous said...

I am here! Count me in as fascinated!

I love lists. And I love the word listification.

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

I am all about lists, too. Since I stay-at-home now my various lists have certainly changed but there is nothing better than crossing off a task. Any task. Like:
1)Make list. Check.
2)Cross of 'Make List.' Check.
Yep. It's that pathetic arond here.

Anonymous said...

Pick me! Pick me!

Yes, I make lists too but I am notorious for leaving them on the table or kitchen counter. Then, I have to rewrite the list in the vehicle; which makes me wonder, why did I make one in the first place when I remember what I needed to do!

Give me an L! you get the idea...

Marilyn said...

I just add the things undone to the list for the next day. Works.It is so good to have you at home. And so good to have my computer back. Making up new words is wonderful, isn't that what these HTL tags are?

Jaime Kubik said...

Love your lists....love your words. I too am a word inventor! Though right now, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is "pound-age" -- like recently had wasn't down any "pound-age" but I hadn't gained any either!