Monday, September 20, 2010

Pan Fried Sweet Potatoes


I bought some sweet potatoes on impulse the other day. They were nowhere to be found on the planned menu. But I do love sweet potatoes, so I snatched them up. The girls? Not so much. And that is sad, Gentle Reader. Quite Sad.

So, in an effort to make them more appealing to them, I decided to try a new twist on them. Did I take a picture? No. I did however eat myself sick on them, so I figure that's a pretty good recommendation if there ever was one!

Of course, I found this recipe, but I didn't have all of the ingredients, so I altered it. That and it said to put 1/4 inch of oil in the bottom of the pan, which I found absolutely ridiculous. sos, clearly their recipe was a good foundation for me, but it was simply crying out to be altered....This is my version of the recipe.

Pan Fried Sweet Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
Canola Oil
Cajun Seasoning
Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Brown sugar
Butter

Heat canola in a large skillet. I just used enough to coat the bottom well. Place sweet potatoes and salt to taste. Add Cajun seasoning to taste (the original called for Mrs Dash. I don't own that, and thought Cajun seasoning sounded good). I really just eyeballed the amount...After a few minutes, turn your potatoes. You want them to be good and crispy before you turn them. Reduce heat. When potatoes are done on both sides, drain off the excess oil. Spread pats of butter around on the pan, then sprinkle on the cayenne and brown sugar (1 tsp per potato.) Continue to fry until the sugar starts to recrystallize and serve these babies up!

It was fabulous. Seriously.

Fabulous.

I was very sparing with the cayenne, as I had used Cajun seasoning at the beginning and I just wanted a hint of heat behind the sweet. I think I used maybe 3 pinches of cayenne sprinkled over 5 potatoes. A little more would have been okay, but the girls don't like things as spicy, so adapt this to suit your family.

Not to brag, but this was truly, truly, truly one of the best ways I've ever eaten sweet potatoes, hands down.

So GO!!!

Buy some sweet potatoes!

Fry 'em up!

You'll be glad you did.

Oh, and just out of sense of fairness, here's the link to the original recipe.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Hmmmm I wonder if my guys would eat it. They do NOT heart sweet potatoes, but they might like these.

Unknown said...

yum....that sounds delish! And I noticed that in your inherent post below you have included a photo of the deceased Ava... speaking of evil!! heehee!