Thursday, October 14, 2010

What's Shakin'?

I never overreact. Never ever ever...

Like Wednesday morning at 9:06 am, give or take a second.

I had just hung up the phone with my mom. Actually, I had just had the call dropped while telling my mother goodbye.

Ooo...Perhaps it was a portent of things to come...

I was standing in my living room when suddenly, something hit my house! I instinctively ducked, and the walls began to shake and the pictures rattled. A sound rumbled through the garage. Sort of like thunder, only even me in all my super calm, critical thinkingness knew it wasn't thunder...

What the?

I looked outside to see the cat and dog asleep in the yard. Okay. So, obviously nothing crashed into the house itself.



Maybe my washing machine unbalanced? Nope. It wasn't on the spin cycle, and besides, I have never known an unbalanced washer to shake the entire house.

Maybe aliens were invading. I am almost POSITIVE the trailer house shook like that in Mars Attacks....

However, since the dog and cat were still fast asleep in the back yard, it didn't seem entirely logical that aliens were descending.

After a brief contemplation, I decided to go outside and look for a mushroom cloud from a nuclear attack. No sign. Just a sunny, cloudless sky. Thank heavens. I fear I have let my emergency survival kit lapse with the last two moves...Yes, Gentle Reader, I confess that planner that I am, I have failed to lay aside 3 days worth of food and water for emergency situations.

Who has room to store all of that?

Then, I remembered that we aren't too far from the airport...Oh no! Maybe a plane crashed! Luckily I just renewed my advanced cardiovascular life support certification, so I'm ready to save lives!!!

I wandered around to the back of the house, and there wasn't an airplane crashed in the field.

At that point, I was pretty stumped on on what could have happened. Because, obviously I had ruled out all of the immediate logical causes...

Yes, an earthquake briefly entered into my peripheral thought line....But I quickly discarded that ridiculous notion.

I live in Oklahoma!!

We don't have earthquakes here! Only a totally rash, illogical thinker would consider an earthquake!

Except we do. A 5.1 on the Richter scale is the most recent rating...

Who'd have thunk?


2 comments:

Amy said...

Thinking of an earthquake in Oklahoma made me recall one of Wile E. Coyote's many attempts to catch the Road Runner. The plan was to catch the RR by feeding him 'Earthquake Pills' disguised as bird seed. Of course the Road Runner is immune to 'Earthquake Pills' thus Wile E. assumes he can ingest them as well... Apparently, coyotes are quite sensitive to 'Earthquake Pills' while road runners, domesticated dogs and cats are not...

P.S.

I love the photo at the bottom of your post.

Marilyn said...

They have been in the Jones area a lot this past year. This one was felt as far away as North Texas and it cracked a bank building in Tulsa. Has the Red Cross arrived yet? Has Fema offered a new home for you to live in?