Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Perfect Sunday

Before you read this post, you really need to go visit my mother and wonder why she has any hair left...And understand why what she has is all gray!  Click here to find out why.

Are you back?  Good!

Do you remember Darma and Greg?  He was  down to earth attorney, and she was a yoga instructor raised by hippies?  There was an episode where she has their super market checker move in with them because she's pregnant with no place to go, and Greg keeps wondering how they know this lady.  Darma says, "GREG!  She's our super market checker!  If we don't step up and help her, then who will?!"


I think of that every time my husband goes to the store with me and he's flabbergasted to realize I ask about their children, their spouses, how they are feeling, etc.

This statement seems random right now, but you will understand later on.

Sunday it rained all day long.  It was wonderful, except we had a track meet scheduled that afternoon for my youngest daughter.  We went to church as usual, and then headed home straight after to change in to rain gear for the meet.  We headed on into town to make sure that we wouldn't be rushed and enjoyed a light lunch at Subway.  While we were there we got the news that the meet was delayed until further notice due to the rain...

Well, since we were in town anyway, and I happened to have my coupons with me, I made my family go with me to get groceries...Because I had resisted going on Wednesday, but now that we were right next door, there was no reason to not go!

Yes, they drove me crazy.  No, I didn't get everything I could have if I hadn't had distractions...But I did walk away with 4lbs of chicken at 29 cents a pound!  What a steal!!!

Of course, if they hadn't been with  me, i would have never bought that dad gum Axe deodorant that was on clearance because I would have realized my coupon expired the day before.  The bagger had already buried it in other items, so I just coughed up the wasted two extra bucks.  Grudgingly.

Dang it.

Anyhoo, my girls said, "Mommy, if you let us stop by the house and grab our purses we will go with you to Walmart."

What a blessing!  NOT!  However, their garage sale earnings were burning a hole in their pockets, so I let them tag along for cat food and other items I had to buy.

We came home and I saw Studmuffin watching FX.  IT WAS SUPER HERO SUNDAY!  We love super hero movies.  Because I'm nerdy like that.  I watched the end of Hulk, then watched the first Iron Man, which I have on disc but still endured commercials to watch on tv.  We cracked ourselves up talking about all of the symbolism and the little Easter eggs you miss until you've watched it 12 times.  The commercials ended up being handy to change out loads of laundry and empty the dishwasher and talk about all of the deep symbolism in Marvel comic heroes...

As soon as Obadiah was killed, we flipped it over to the news...to find out Bin Laden was dead!

What a day!  Couponing, super hero movies and Osama dead!  I could scarce get to to sleep there was so much excitement around here...

So, do you want to hear about my nerdy couponing adventure the last two days?  We are out of razors.  I noticed in the Walgreen's sale bill that I could get Studmuffin a razor with a four dollar off coupon and get five dollars in register rewards.  I also needed razors, and could get two dollars in register rewards.  I happened to already have five dollars in rewards from getting my kids allergy medicine there Sunday...

Wait!  They had forgotten to give me my rewards, but I had my receipt, so I was planning on getting them given to me.

So, last night on my way home I grabbed Studmuffin's five blade razor, and headed to the check out.  I let a man with one item in front of me.  I insisted he go, "Because I'm hungry, but not that cranky...Yet."  (And I didn't want him to realize that I'm going to beg for my forgotten five dollar coupon) Which lead to me discussing our dinner plans with this random stranger and the checker.


After I explained my situation, she happily corrected the problem, but there was a hitch.  I was going to have two manufacturer coupons for one item, so I HAD to purchase a second item.  She recommended I grab an Ooey Gooey Butter Cake at their check out for 99 cents.  I walked away spending $2.89 on a Ten dollar razor and a 99 cent snack cake...

But it gets better!!  They gave me my five dollar register reward...

I know lots of people do several transactions in one trip, but I was too embarrassed to do that.  I had learned that my checker was closing the store last night in our little chat, so I figured it would be safe to go back this morning to grab razors for me and some Qtips, as we were out anyway.  And she would be none the wiser and forget all about me and my plans for chicken tacos...

I headed straight there after dropping the kids at school.

I made the small error of wandering into their lawn and garden area.  I am now hoping my husband and children go there and get me some Mother's Day gifts.  They had the cutest things, and I got my mother a gift that there was only one left of, so she better dang well appreciate it, because I REALLY wanted it....

Moving on...

So, I headed to the check out and THE SAME LADY WAS WORKING!!  "Maybe she won't recognize me,"  I told myself.

"Are you the lady who bought one of those cakes last night?"

Caught!  "Yes.  I shared it with my daughter.  You are right, they really do melt in your mouth."  And I sheepishly handed her my razors, the Qtips and my mom's gift....Along with my coupons.

Guess what?!  I got another two dollar register reward!  And their Garnier hair products are on sale, and I have a coupon, and if I use my two dollar off coupon, I will get them for free!

Only I am waiting at least two days before I go back.  Because then maybe I won't appear as if I have nothing but coupons in my life...

So, in closing I wll say that apparently friendliness and chattiness doesn't always pay off!  Because if you share your life story with everyone you meet, they remember you!

DRAT!

2 comments:

Paula said...

I wish we lived in the same town. I would pay you to shop for me. Then you could have an excuse for making multiple transactions in one visit.

Marilyn said...

Remember, You said you could give Dad deodorant for Fathers Day!!!Just let me check the scent first.