Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Early Bird Gets the Worm

I am an early riser.  I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, but once I'm up and about, I love mornings. I'm always happiest if I am the only one awake for a while...


My youngest is an early riser too.  I used to struggle with resentment about this.  After all, my early mornings were MY time.  She has driven me to get up before 6am for sure if I want to have a few minutes of total alone time before she joins me.  Now I love the few moments we have alone.  She sits and eats breakfast and gazes around.  Much like her mother.  We have deep conversations about all sorts of nonsense that really isn't deep at all.



My oldest child considers herself a late riser.  After all, she will sleep all the way until 8am at times!  Shocking, I know.  I like that she wakes a few minutes after her sister, as it gives me a few minutes with just her.  She is always full of information.  Recently it's been conversations about the book she's reading called Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow.  Her Aunt Paula loaned it to her, and she is loving it.





I love to get my kids up, dressed and fed early.  Especially in summer.  I find that if I can feed them breakfast on the back porch, they will end up staying outside until close to noon.  Even on hot days.  They gradually acclimate as the temperature climbs, whereas if I wait until even as early as 8:30, they think it's too hot to go play outside.



I am dreading the rejection of toys.  In the early morning they often take their fairy dolls and play with them in the old garden and have an enchanted fairy forest in the overgrown weeds/carrots/volunteer squash plants.  I wish I could plant a microphone on them so I could know what they are saying.  Their childhood is slipping away right before my eyes, and while I love each phase they enter, I will be most sad when they move past the innocence of fairies in the garden.

See the little boy in the picture below?  That is our little neighbor boy.  He is over every time he sees the girls outside.  He is four and drives them a little crazy. However, they are always nice to him and act very interested in everything he has to say.  I think it's really sweet to watch them with him.  I hope it's a glimpse of how they are with the "other" kids at school.
 


April over at Coal Creek Farm is having a month of no TV.  It's a tradition they begin every June.  I'm tossing around the idea of adding it to our July plans.  Other than that, I really have no summer plans.

Just lots of swimming, grilling, and yard work.  Until it's too hot for yard work.  Then I will be bemoaning yard work.  I plan to laze around the house.  Make several visits to my Grandma.  Y'know.  Just normal summer stuff.

What about you?  Do you have any big plans for summer?  Maybe your plans are like mine, to just enjoy it as it zooms by.  Please share!

3 comments:

LeAnna said...

My kids are early risers too, much to my dismay. ;) My husband is the early bird at our house, and is up by 6 most mornings (it was 5 before we had kids!) but me, I cherish "sleeping in" until 7:30. ;) I was just talking to a friend of mine about how much we're dreading that sweet age of innocence passing. It's a harsh world we live in, and sometimes I just wish I could protect them from all of it. Even though that's not doable, a Mama-heart still finds herself looking for ways to prolong the inevitable...

Love the idea of a month or two of no tv!

Marilyn said...

I know you are too young to remember awhen your dad put the TV in the attic for 3 months. It was really quite nice except it was in the dead of winter. Oh well, we didn't get tired of re-runs that year. The plans that I had for the summer haven't went as I planned so I will just take each day as it comes and hope that my children and grandchildren come sometime. I do want to go to yellowstone sometime. Depends!!

Taylor said...

It is 11am. The kids are outside and Handsome Dude just asked for a coat. :(