Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Only Acceptable Form of Pork is BACON

Today I called in to work to see where I was needed.  "Call again at 9 and see if we need you at eleven."  This has never happened since I went to pool, but I guess it was my turn...

Anyway, at 9 I called and heard "We will definitely need you 3-7.  Call at one so we can tell you where."

Dang!  I should have went to the gym.  Only my back is a little achy from my fall in the yard Saturday.  Sitting makes it tighten up, and standing makes it spasm.  The only position it truly feels "good" in right now is in a full squat.  Which is great for my booty, but a bit awkward. 

By 10:30 I had vacuumed, cleaned both bathrooms, did the Sunday crossword, and even two loads of laundry.

None of those things made my back feel better.  Strange.

I decided that there was nothing for it.  I was going to have to cook dinner.  After all, Brent works disgusting hours, and if I'm to embrace this trophy wife fantasy, he better be well fed at the very least!

I opened the fridge to see what I could see...

And I found this:



Have you ever purchased this?  If you buy ham, the only brand I can recommend is Farmland.  My mother in law always said it was the best, and I confess I've bought other brands on sale.   I always came away disappointed.  One time when Aleta was staying with us, she bought a package of these pieces.  They are so handy, and really economical!  This is a 1.68lb package and it was only $3.39.  Considering I will get two meals out of that, I'm pleased with the cost!

Speaking of meat:  Ground turkey is from the devil. I go a little crazy every time I see someone recommend ground turkey to cut fat.  Seriously, people!  Lean meat is lean meat!  If it says lean on the package, you can simply lay all of the meats along side each other.  Ninety three percent lean hamburger, chicken, turkey, pork whatever CONTAIN THE SAME AMOUNT OF FAT AND CHOLESTEROL!  So, don't ruin a perfectly good lasagna with some dirty old bird...

Beef!  It's whats for dinner.

Just ask my dad.  I would never dare serve him ham.  I think the only acceptable form of pork to hit the table is bacon.   And that's because there is no beef counterpart to bacon.  Our family consumes all beef sausage, hot dogs, bologna, whatever... If it's made with beef, you bet your sweet bippy that is what we will eat!

Of course, beef is NOT for dinner tonight.  Because I occasionally rebel and buy ham.  It's okay.  I'm pretty sure some pork producer out there needs some financial support.

So, based on the ham in the fridge, I decided to throw together some comfort food in the form of macaroni & cheese ham.  Only I had bow tie pasta.  But this is the result:



Oh, wait!  I decided Brent would not want to bother with a vegetable, so I threw in a bag of frozen peas too!



Now all he has to do is put it in the oven to heat it through.  Since I'm pretty sure I'll be at work, I'm just going on faith that my family will "rise up and call me blessed."

Macaroni & Cheese Ham Bake

Ingredients:
1 lb bow tie pasta, cooked
cheddar cheese
Velveeta
Cream of mushroom soup
Milk
Ham pieces (I probably used 3/4lb)
Salt, pepper, garlic to taste
Peas (if one desires to sneak a veggie in on their children)

Combine all ingredients.  I think I used maybe 8 ounces of Velveeta, as that is all I had.  And maybe a cup of cheddar, but again, it was just a few generous handfuls.  The ham was eye balled too.  Oh, and after you've added the main ingredients, just stir in enough milk until it's good and creamy.  Be careful with the garlic.  I forgot I wasn't holding the salt, and I fear mine will be a bit over the top this time.  Oh, well.  That's what happens when you're cooking on the fly!

Throw it all in a casserole dish, cover, then stick in the fridge with this note:  Cook in oven at 350 until heated through.

Think the family can handle that?

Proverbs 31:27-31
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." 
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.  Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

I'll settle for a kiss and a "thanks for dinner, Mom."

Oh, and a clean kitchen when I get home.  But I won't hold my breath on that one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Rancher does like ham, It is too much chicken that he rebels about. This looks like a great recipe but what about the count for weight watchers?????????