Sunday, December 14, 2008

A Frustrated Rant

Mom, don't read this post....seriously. It involves your present, and we don't want to ruin the surprise.....

Are you gone?

Are you?

Well, if you're still here, you're going to ruin your surprise, and you can't blame me!

Seriously, quit reading....

Now, please!



Okay, I think she's surely gone by now.

I had this great gift idea all planned out for my mother. She's been asking me for the same thing for like 3 years, but then when it's actually Christmas time she asks for something else, so I get that for her instead. This year I had the supplies bought and everything, ready to go.....

A few weeks ago, she called and told me she wants a personalized photo calendar for Christmas. It seems she'd mentioned the calendar to Paula, who already had her present, so Paula suggested she call me. I like to scrapbook, so I'm sure it seemed like a good idea.

It is a good idea. Just not for me. You see, I'm not techno savvy. Oh, like to pretend I am, but I'm really not. The reality is,I'm a brat when it comes to technology, or anything else for that matter. If I don't grasp it immediately, or it doesn't upload immediately, or I save the pictures in the wrong format, I get frustrated and then I abandon it for something I like to do.

Like cooking. Eating. Exercising. Blogging (of course). Even cleaning bathrooms for pity sake...

But, alas, I can no longer procrastinate on this gift. I have to get it ordered today if I'm going to get it in time to give it when I see her. We all know how tacky IOU gifts are, so I'm trying, REALLY TRYING to get it done. I've been working on it solid since 9am. I stayed home with Popcorn because her eyes are still a little runny, so I thought this was the perfect time to get it done. It's now 11:15, and I've made minimal progress. I can't find a disc that I recently copied my sd card to. It has all of my photos from March through October. It took me forever to figure out how come I couldn't copy the pictures out of my emails to a single file so I could upload them all to Walmart.com. I finally realized I needed to click directly on the pictures, not the text below them. Duh! I could go on and on about the stupid mistakes I've made doing this thing, but I won't because that will only serve to frustrate me more!

I had planned on working on it yesterday, but instead I had to finish the "gift from the heart" present I had to make for the gift exchange with my siblings and their spouses. Plus, now I'm not even sure anyone else will like this gift that I dreamed up. I should have stuck with baking. I can do that. Granted, it's predictable. Everyone knows I can do that....

Of course, there's the key....I CAN do that. Easily. I decided to break out of my box and try something new. So, I did. I'm done with that. Been there, got the t-shirt and all of that.

So, I'm done ranting now. I have to finish this lovely calendar that my mom better darn well cherish for the rest of her life. Because you can bet I'm not doing this for anyone again........

Unless they ask, and then of course I will because Christmas is about giving a gift someone really wants, not what I want to take time to make. So, be prepared for more future ranting if anyone dare ask me for a personalized photo calendar again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

so you are only bratty about technology???????????

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you are talking about, my in-laws are doing this "gift from the heart" thing where you have to make a gift. You know how hard that is for the artistically disinclined.