Monday, January 4, 2010

Toes in the Freezer


Just now I had the most amazing conversation with Popcorn.

She was preparing a bowl of ice cream. Because, after all, ice cream is apparently necessary when it is a whopping 28 degrees outside.

I was preparing myself a cup of organic green tea. The organic is not really necessary to my existence. Neither is the green part, for that matter. Really, the only necessary ingredient to my existence is the caffeine. And the heat. Coffee would have been preferable.

However, I am out of coffee.

Well, that's not strictly true. I have some disgusting Walmart brand coffee that I made the mistake of buying. I plan to return it the next time I make a 6am run to Walmart. That's truly the best time to go because nobody else is there. But, other than truly disgusting Walmart coffee, I am out of coffee.

Because my wretched family drank it all when they were here.

Not that my family is wretched. As a matter of fact, my family is wonderful, and I'm more than happy to share a cup of coffee with them. It is only when I'm desperately needing my 4pm cup of coffee, and remember I'm totally out until I run to the store tonight that they become a wretched family. Because, clearly, it's all about me.

But the point of this post is not that I'm out of coffee. It's not that it's cold outside. It's not even that my child feels the need to eat ice cream when it's cold outside. The point of this post can be summed up in one statement made by Popcorn as she got out the ice cream:

"That feels good. You know, there's just never a bad time to stick your toes in the freezer!"

There you go. Next time your wretched family has drank all of your coffee, and it is time for a 4pm caffeine fix, just stick your toes in the freezer and all will be right with the world.

5 comments:

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

Wretched family!!! hahaha! Oh, I need my coffee. Don't even mess with my afternoon cup.

I gave you a blogging award! I am fairly new to the world of blogging, but I got an award and was supposed to pass it on and you were one of the blogs I passed it on too! Go check it out . . . after you get some caffeine in your system, of course.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing all your coffee....;) and I perhaps need Mindy's outlook--outlandish perhaps!

marymary said...

You know, I've never even thought about putting my toes in the freezer. But I'm gonna have to consider it!

Marilyn said...

I drank stinkin' Wal-mart Coffee while I was at your house because that was what you gave me to make. You wretched mom.

Jaime Kubik said...

My wretched family drank all my coffee too the last time they were up for a visit - and what's worse is I like hazelnut coffee (or anything flavored) and they don't, but drank it anyway!! I have a solution though...there is some plain Folgers sitting in my cupboard for their next visit. I'm such a clever relative, aren't I?