Saturday, December 26, 2009

How to Interpret Body Language

Yesterday I was laying on Popcorn's bed with her, talking about our day and the wonderful times we were having....

Popcorn: Where did you get your gum?
Me: In my stocking.
P: Who gave it to you?
Me: Santa.
P: You're lying!!!
Me: No I'm not! Why would I be lying? I got gum in my stocking from Santa!
P: I know you lied...
Me: Why do you say I lied?
P: When I asked who gave it to you, you rolled your eyes to the left. Looking to the right means you're thinking. The left means you're lying. So, you lied about who gave you the game.
Me: Well, I'm not lying. I got the gum in my stocking. From Santa.

Now. I ask you, Gentle Reader, why does my child, who is only 7 years old, know that eyes to the left means deception? I didn't even know that, but when she said it, it sounded familiar. I decided to google body language, and I learned she was right!

Here is a quote from WikiHow: You can usually tell if a person is remembering something or making something up based on their eye's movements. When someone is remembering details, their eyes move to the right (your right). When someone is making something up, their eyes move to the left.

Here is the link to learn more about body language, and how to interpret it. Now, go! Learn! Implement your knowledge! I will be using my new-found knowledge to convince my 2nd grader that I am not a liar... You can use yours however you feel fit...

4 comments:

The Lumberjack's Wife said...

UhOh! Better watch your eye movements now! :)

Unknown said...

Oh goodness. Is that what they're learning school now? Will this be on the test? I tested it. I do feel sneakier when I roll my eyes to 'your' left! :)

Southern Gal said...

Hi Andi! Love reading about your family. What fun Christmas gifts! And your daughter is very intelligent. I had no idea about the eye roll thing. I'll probably get other body language wrong worrying about which side my eyes are drifting to.

So much snow! You saw the flooding we had on Christmas.

My daughter is in her junior year in college. She'll be an RN, hopefully by the summer of 2011.

Sarah Kamolz said...

OH NO! WHO KNEW! How are we going to continue to trick her!? Lol!